Welcome to Class 5P at the Westborough School.
We are looking forward to seeing the children back in school. Children should come into school through the Gainsborough Gate and make their own way to their classroom. At the end of the day (3:10) parents/carers can meet their children on the playground, by the classroom door.
We have lots of interesting topics to cover in Year 5. The first half term we will be covering the following: -
Reasoning with large whole integers
Integer addition and subtraction
Line graphs and timetables
Our first class book will be Cosmic by Frank Cottrell-Boyce
Please continue to support your child by encouraging them to read for at least 20 minutes each day. In Year 5, we would like children to write comments in their Reading Records to keep track of the books they have read, whether they would recommend them to a friend and if they enjpoyed the text.
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
- ask a range of questions about a subject
- write a non-fiction report (webpage)
- use a range of sentence types to create an advert
- use a range of noun phrases to write about a character
- write a formal persuasive letter
- write an informal letter
- write a diary entry
- write a NASA official report
- plan, write and edit a newspaper opinion piece
- plan, write and edit the memoir of a character
Earth and Space
Lots of fun and interesting activities about Earth, the Sun and Moon
Our topic is Galaxy Quest (which links nicely to Science!)
Some of the activities we will be doing are: -
How many stars are in the universe?
Space themed music
Day, night and seasons
The space race